Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day Thirteen... nothing too exciting

Well, we are getting to a point in our school day that we are wrapping up much of our curriculum. This is exciting because now we are able to put more of our focus into fun projects. We are working on an immigration report, social studies postcards, and letters to the upcoming fourth graders. This has been really fun and the kids really like working with technology.

My happy note today: In October, we started collecting pop tabs for Pull Tabs for Charity. We set a school competition and as a class, we decided we wanted to raise a million tabs for this organization. Well, the competition ended today. We rounded up all the tabs and with the kids around school collecting and the help from around the community (we even have other schools collecting for us!), we have reached about 500,000 tabs (maybe more, but we are not done putting them together). This has been incredible for only collecting for 8 months! We will continue with next year's fourth graders because we would really like to reach one million. Then, I might approach the district and see if we could do a school competition with our schools around the district. My kids have loved this project and have taken great pride in what we have done!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jenn, thats a huge accomplishment for your school. I think it's awesome when schools get the students involced in activities that are helping the less fortunate. As for end of the year activities... all I can say is... YAY!!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exactly do the pull tabs work? I have a student who asked me to collect some for her as she has a family friend who is sick, but I've just been passing them along without really knowing what they do... Could you enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete